Driving in Hungary

Rules in Hungary

  • In Hungary, you can only drive on the right-hand side, and overtake from the left.
  • Wearing a seatbelt is obligatory
  • You can only use a mobile phone with a headset
  • In rural areas, dipped headlights must be used
  • If you are using a motorbike, you have to wear a helmet
  • There is zero tolerance for alcohol
  • You should always have a warning triangle, a first aid kit and a set of spare lightbulbs
  • A fire extinguisher is recommended, but not obligatory
  • Children under 12 need to be in a special child seat and in the back

Speed limits:

  • In urban areas 50 km/h – 31 mph
  • In rural areas: 90 km/h – 56 mph
  • In motorway areas: 110 – 130 km/h – 68 – 80 mph

Documents you will need

  • International driver’s license (permit)
  • Passport
  • Vehicle certificate
  • Insurance


If you want to drive on motorways, you need to purchase a highway vignette found here.

There are two types: time-based and region-based. Some expressways or sections of expressways are toll-free to use for cars up to 3.5 t. This information can be found here.

In case of an accident

  • If it is a small incident, drivers can resolve the situation between themselves
  • In a more serious instance, the damaged vehicles should not be moved
  • You also need to fill out an accident report form provided by your insurance company. Example: (Allianz)
  • If you do not have a report from, you should write down the following on a piece of paper:
    • Details of the drivers involved
    • Description of the cars
    • Time and place of the incident
    • Retelling of what happened
    • Description of the damage, and the conditions during which the accident happened
    • You should also take pictures and write down the contact details of witnesses if there are any
  • The forms must be sent to the insurance company. Usually the time limit for this is 5 days for the driver at fault, and 15 days for the victim. Although, these deadlines can vary from company to company
  • And lastly, if you are a victim of a hit-and-run, you should call the police and tell them what happened and report the damage to your insurance company
  • The Association of Hungarian Insurance Companies will cover the costs of the accident and try to find the one responsible