For Your Information
List of all embassies in Budapest.
- Main emergency number: 112 – can be dialed in any kind of emergency
- Police: 107
- Ambulance: 104
- Firefighters: 105
If you find yourself in need of medicine, you will need to find a pharmacy near your location. Fortunately, Budapest has at least one in every district. Outside the building they are indicated with a green cross and with the text “patika” or “gyógyszertár”.
During national and public holidays, most shops and businesses are closed, and public transportation is on holiday schedule, so they come less frequently.
- National holidays
- 15th March – Memorial Day of the 1848-49 Revolution and War of Independence.
- 20th August – Day of the foundation of Hungary, as well as the Day of St. Stephen, Hungary’s first king.
- 23rd October – Memorial Day of the 1956 Revolution and War of Independence
- Public holidays
- 1st Jan – New Year’s Eve
- Easter – Sometime in April
- 1st May – International Worker’s Day
- Pentecost and Whit Monday – The date depends on the date of Easter in a given year
- 1st November – All Saint’s Day
- 6th December – Santa Claus Day
- Christmas – 24th December – 27th December